Overview The Entertainment Destination Center (EDC) draws people to Paducah's downtown, strengthens existing local businesses, and attracts new entrepreneurs. This Center boosts existing restaurant and hospitality industries by allowing customers to take to-go alcoholic drinks in designated cups from participating businesses and stroll our historic streets, browse the windows of our local boutiques, watch the towboats on the river, and partake in outdoor events.
Hours The Destination Center hours are daily from 6 a.m. until midnight.
Designated To-Go Cups The City designed to-go cups specific to downtown Paducah for the participating businesses. The drinks must stay in the Destination Center. Beverages purchased outside the Center are prohibited. The cups cannot be refilled or brought into establishments. Please dispose of them properly within the Destination Center.
Boundary The Destination Center covers a large section of downtown (see map) stretching down Broadway from 5th Street to the river and from Clark Street toward the Convention Center complex. It excludes the residential areas in Lowertown. Signs have been installed at the boundaries to educate the public on boundary limits and the days and times of operation.
Note: Each red dot on the map is a bar/restaurant that has the option to participate in the program.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Entertainment Destination Center? The EDC allows patrons at participating restaurants and bars to leave the premise with an alcoholic beverage in a specially marked cup. A newly established Entertainment Destination Center will boost our restaurant and hospitality industries, and draw more people Downtown and the riverfront.
Where can I have alcoholic beverages in downtown Paducah? Alcoholic beverages purchased from a business in the EDC must be consumed within the boundaries. (See map)
When are alcoholic beverages allowed in the EDC? Alcoholic beverages are only allowed on public property Sunday through Saturday from 6 a.m. until midnight.
Can I take my EDC cup anywhere within Paducah’s EDC district? Businesses participating and located in the EDC may allow patrons to leave its premises with alcoholic beverage drinks and consume those drinks at other licensed premises or any EDC common area. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in unlicensed premises but are permitted in EDC common areas. Taking alcoholic beverages outside the physical boundaries of the EDC is prohibited.
Can I take my EDC cup adjacent to the program boundary? To-go drinks stay in the district. Beverages purchased outside district are prohibited.
Can I purchase an EDC cup and put my own drink in it to walk around downtown Paducah during a special event? No, only drinks purchased from a participating business in the EDC are allowed by state law. No cans, glass bottles, or outside drinks are permitted with the boundaries. Anyone with alcohol on public property not purchased from a participating business during permitted hours or during a designated special event can be cited and/or arrested.
Can I bring my EDC cup back to another event? No. District cups are only permitted for a single use when leaving a downtown business to walk to another location within the EDC.
What are the repercussions for those exiting the boundaries with alcohol? Should patrons leave the boundary, they can be cited and/or arrested.
Are other cities in Kentucky utilizing an Entertainment Destination Center? In August of 2016, the State of Kentucky adopted legislation allowing municipalities to create local Entertainment Destination Center’s in the tourism and convention districts. To date, several municipalities have passed local ordinances including Owensboro, Louisville, Lexington, Morehead, Covington, Maysville, Midway, Bellevue, Somerset, Corbin, and the CVG Airport.
Process to Become an EDC in 2021
- Discuss the EDC - In March 2021, the City presented the proposed Entertainment Destination Center project elements to the public at a City Commission meeting and met with downtown stakeholders including bars and restaurants. Watch the March 23, 2021 City Commission Presentation
- Adopt an Ordinance - In April 2021, the City adopted an ordinance outlining the program elements and authorized the City to apply for an Entertainment Destination Center license through the Kentucky Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.
- Public Notice Period - This process was publicized through a legal notice and a 30-day comment period which ended May 29, 2021.
- Apply to State - Once the legal notice was published and during the comment period, the City submitted the Entertainment Destination Center application to the State in late April.
- State Visit to Paducah - The State visited Paducah to review the proposed Entertainment Destination Center boundary.
- State Approval - After the comment period and State review, the City celebrated receiving its Entertainment Destination Center license on June 1, 2021.
More than Two Decades of Revitalization
The Entertainment Destination Center builds upon 20 years of revitalization and redevelopment initiatives for our historic Downtown commercial district and Riverfront. The Entertainment Destination Center joins several successful, City-led projects, including
- Artist Relocation Project (2000)
- Completion Riverfront Floodwall Murals (2007)
- Riverfront Redevelopment Plan (2007)
- Renaissance Area Master Plan (2013)
- PRDA Riverfront Redevelopment Project - Transient Boat Dock and Schultz Park Expansion (2014)
- Paducah Main Street and Downtown Development Grants (2014 – Current)
- Paducah Commons Small Area Master Plan (2015)
- Greenway Trail Extensions (2018-2020)
- Opportunity Zones (2019)
- BUILD Grant: Leveraging Connectivity (2019 - Current)
- City Block Redevelopment Project and Town Square (2020 - Current)
- Paducah Tax Increment Finance District Adoption (2021 - KEDFA Final Approval)
Are you planning a trip to historic downtown Paducah? More than 500 parking spaces are available in the heart of downtown along the streets. However, if you are looking for off-street parking, visit Downtown Parking to view the list of FREE public parking lots with more than 1000 total spaces. Enjoy your visit to downtown Paducah!
We Want to Hear from You!
Do you have a idea or comment about the Entertainment Destination Center?