Short-Term Rentals


What is a Short-Term Rental?

A short-term rental is a furnished living space available for short periods of time, from a few days to several weeks.  Under Paducah's ordinance, the short-term rental does not include the serving or providing of meals by the host to any guest (to distinguish from Bed & Breakfasts). Short-term rentals also are commonly known as vacation rentals and are considered an alternative to a hotel.

Short-term rental informationRequirements

To be compliant with Paducah zoning regulations,

  • Know if a short-term rental is permitted on the property based upon the property’s zone. Visit Find my Zone to type in an address.   
  • Get a conditional use permit (if needed based on the zoning).
  • Obtain a Business License from the Finance Department.
  • File a McCracken County Transient Room Tax Form with the McCracken County Finance Department. This tax applies to all short-term rentals.

Two Types of Short-Term Rentals

Special Event Short-Term Rental

Special event short-term rentals are the only type of STR allowed in the R-1 Low Density Residential Zone. They are permitted only for a period of up to seven days for two weeks out of the year. The Board of Adjustment (BOA) can approve longer time frames.

On-Going Short-Term Rental

  • STRs that are in the R-2, R-3, Planned Office Park (POP) and Neighborhood Services Zone (NSZ) Zones are allowed by conditional use permit only. This permit will list any conditions in order for the short-term rental to operate.
  • Allowed in R-4 Residential and higher-density zones by right.
  • An on-going rental can operate for lengths of time between 14 and 30 days.
  • If a short-term rental is currently in operation that requires a Conditional Use Permit, a permit application must be submitted and heard before the Paducah Board of Adjustment or Historic & Architectural Review Commission (HARC).

Apply for a Short-Term Rental

I Already Have a Short-Term Rental

If you have a short-term rental in operation at this time, call the Paducah Planning Department to find out what actions are needed, if any.